Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Tunaboo-patita

Last March 27, I posted a recipe on my other blog My Tots Exactly! for Tuna Patties. This is part 2 of 4 before I get to post new ones. Enjoy!!

Yeah, yeah! I just didn't want to write Tuna Burger Patties!

Anyway, this was what we had for lunch last Friday. Since meat isn't allowed on Fridays until after the holy week, I get to experiment with my favorite tuna. I could use other seafood but I won't... I love tuna and this is the only time I will always get what I want!

What you'll need:

  • 1 small can tuna flakes(in brine or hot and spicy), drained an hour before
  • 1/4c red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/3c minced onion
  • 1/3c minced celery stalk
  • 1/4c mayonnaise
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/8t ground black pepper
  • 1/2t - 1/4t worcestershire sauce (depending on taste)
  • 1/2c + 1/4c italian seasoned breadcrumb (or pounded green onion flavored Skyflakes),
  • 1 medium egg, slightly beaten
  • tin foil or wax paper squares (approx 4-6 pieces, cut just a little bigger than your patty size)
  • oil for frying
  1. In a bowl, flake tuna even more with a fork (no such thing as over-flaking here).
  2. Mix all ingredients except breadcrumbs. Taste if you want more seasoning (salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce)
  3. Gradually add more breadcrumbs until consistency is not too wet. Note: Don't let it get too dry because it will break up during frying. If you want to taste or check the consistency, shape 1T into a circle about 1cm or so in height and fry.
  4. Shape the patties. I fill a 1/4c measuring cup, then slowly press outward until about 1 cm or so in height. I put each patty in individual foil squares so it's easier to peel off and drop when frying.
  5. Put all the patties in a tight lid container and refrigerate for 30mins to make the patties easier to handle.
  6. When about to serve, prepare oil for frying. Once oil is hot, peel patties and fry for about 3.4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Be careful when turning to avoid breaking the patties.
  7. Serve on buns with a slice of tomato and some greens (and cheese if you love cheese like I do) or with rice.
Makes approx 4-6 patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment